Monthly Archives: October 2015

The one that got away …. Dye Recipe

Procian Dyes (in a plastic bag)

I was supposed to post this recipe before showing the dyed fabrics!  I must get some lessons on WordPress from Joan.

Anyway………….

At the weekend, Joan wanted to do some dying, but couldn’t find her recipe.  Fortunately, I had been organising my dye stuff and was able to find my recipe straight away.  So, I thought it would be a good idea to put it here on our blog and that way we can always find it.

There are very many dye recipes, but the one below is the one we have used for many years, with good results.

Salt Solution: 250g cooking salt to 1 litre of boiling water, allow to cool.

Soda Solution: 200g household soda to 1 litre of near boiling water, allow to cool.

Dye Solution : 1 teaspoon of dye in 100 mls of warm water

  • Dissolve dye in warm water in a jam jar (avoid inhalation)
  • In a plastic bag put 50mls of salt solution and 50mls of soda solution
  • Add 5 tsp. dye (not more than two colours).
  • Add wet fabric and thread skeins
  • Expel air from bag and fasten with a tie.
  • Agitate bag gently
  • Leave for 1 hour
  • Remove fabrics and threads and rinse in cold water
  • Wash in detergent solution
  • Rinse in cold water and dry.

We usually use 100% cotton, which gives the most vibrant shades, but poly cotton can be used but usually it dyes a little paler.

Always exciting to try anything really, so just give it a try.

Enjoy

Marg

Dyed material

I wanted to add this photo to my last post, but I didn’t get it to work, so another post I’m afraid, hey ho!!

AGGRO - WIN_20151013_103429

I think you will agree that the results are good, ranging from quite lightly coloured pieces to quite rich and dark.

Give it a go – I think you will find it worthwhile.

Back soon,

Marg

A new beginning

Well, I’ve finally put pen to paper, well not exactly, but you know what I mean, as I thought it about time to post an update on what’s been happening in my world.

Joan has done a great job of designing this new blogspot for us and she hopes to add different sections to it as and when she finds out just how to do that, so it’s watch this space for a while really, no pressure Joan!!

Late September I was lucky enough to attend one of Laura Kemshall’s workshops which she holds in a refurbished cricket pavillion, sited in her garden no less.  It’s a lovely workroom, with plenty of light, a small kitchen and toilet facilities included. Her mum caters for us throughout the day providing homemade delights at coffee time, lunch time and afternoon tea time. Can’t be bad.

Anyway, at Laura’s workshop we were encouraged to bring together design work, either old or new so that we could move on to quilting later in the course.  I am due at Laura’s again later this month.

I decided to carry on the work I created with Ineke Berlyn, when I did a 12 month online course called ‘Shape to Stitch’ and the shape I chose to use was a small mannequin, which a friend had bought for my birthday some time ago. We were required to produce a small quilt (mine was 11×7″) each month using different techniques.  For some while I have wanted to take this work further and now I had my chance.

Laura was quite excited with my idea, trying to encourage me to work in a full size woman shape, so my quilt may turn out to be the shape of a full sized mannequin.  Oh, and she thought I should do a series!!

Below are a few of the small quilts I did with Ineke so you can see the mannequin shape.

2014-01-12 21.51.11 2014-01-12 21.53.36 2014-01-21 13.43.45 2014-01-21 13.44.17

I will take a few photos of my full size pattern and then you’ll be able to see the increase in size.

So, bye for now.

Marg