Monthly Archives: June 2017

Now for May’s challenge

Well now I at last have my May version  of our ‘urban’ challenge, even if it’s almost a month late! This is entitled “The old and the new”, and is inspired by the sweeping away of old fashioned terraced housing and disused buildings, to make way for high rise housing. Whilst the new housing may be more efficient than the older version, I find them impersonal and sterile, compared to the friendly neighbourly feel of the older type of housing.

Close up views:

   

Now all I need to do is to design and work my next urban challenge piece, and since it should be ready for the end of June, it looks as though it’s going to be late again!! I think I need to snap a few photos around  town to get a bit more inspiration, and I’m hoping that not one but two pieces will spring from my brain, so that July’s piece will also materialise. (Springing into action isn’t really my brain’s best feature!).

I thought I’d also share my latest piece for the ‘Fifteen by Fifteen’ group. You may recall that we’re producing work in which follows a single theme to produce a series, and that my theme is seed heads.

 

This piece is based on Nigella seed heads (also known as Love-in-a-mist). For this one I tried to use flimsy threads and delicate stitching to create a misty feel (you may be able  to see this is the close-up view). For a change, I actually have an idea for my next piece, and have started work on it, so maybe I won’t be rushing to finish near the deadline.

Here’s hoping that I’m a bit more productive in the next few weeks. (Joan)

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

May’s challenge

Continuing with our challenge to produce a monthly urban landscape, I thought I’d share the one I completed for the month of April. The reason I’m not sharing May’s effort? – yes, you’ve guessed it, I haven’t done it yet! So this month I’ll be needing to make two urban pieces, because I’m enjoying this challenge, so I don’t want to give up on it.

 I called this one “There were potbanks among the houses” – and it reflects the fact that in the not-too-distant past there were indeed streets of terraced houses with potteries at their ends. At one time, the landscape of this area was dominated by bottle ovens, and of course workers lived cheek-by-jowl with their places of work.

This piece was created by printing calico with a commercial stamp depicting little houses. The shape of the bottle oven was cut from dyed kitchen paper, and the whole piece then overlaid with transfer printed organza. I hand-stitched at random some of the house shapes, and again added little curtain and window details to some of the houses. I added a few impressions of cobbled streets with running stitch.

 This close-up may show a little more of the detail.

We’ve had a bit of excitement in our little world over the past few weeks, when we participated in a textile fair at a local gallery. After a bit of frenzied preparation, where we found pieces we’d forgotten or fell out of love with, and pieces that we’ve produced recently, we eventually felt that we had a nice mixture of work to show. We used some of it to stock a little stall, and other pieces were wall-hung as part of a larger exhibition. As well as receiving many lovely comments, we sold a few small pieces, and Margaret also sold one of her larger ones.  All in all a real confidence booster.

My latest piece for the ‘Fifteen by Fifteen’ group has also been completed and was part of the reveal which as posted online yesterday. We are currently working a series of pieces based on a single theme, my theme being seed heads. This time I have based the piece on Nigella seed heads (also known as Love-in-a-Mist). see what you think:

close up view:

I’ve added this one to my ‘Fifteen’ gallery page in the tabs above, and you can view the whole group’s pieces at https://fifteenquilts.com/

Now to get on with two months’ worth  of our urban challenge.

Joan